Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Breakfast for dinner...

We're having breakfast for dinner tonight.  I always look forward to that night because I never get up and make that kind of breakfast in the morning!  Even when I do cook something special, usually the only person that's impressed and happy is my husband, the kids like cold cereal better than most anything else. 

Plus, I'm an morning oatmeal person.  I eat it at least three times a week.  I have always liked Quaker and cooking for me in the morning is when I put a real pot on the stove and cook homemade oatmeal, the kind you stand and stir and stir! And believe it or not, I can usually get the kids to eat it with me instead of the sugar crunch junk they normally like.

I take my homemade oatmeal with frozen blueberries.  You almost don't need to add any brown sugar when you add a cup of frozen blueberries.  I started doing that when my kids were little.  My son would not eat anything that was warmer than room temperature.  So when you microwave oatmeal, it takes forever to cool off enough to eat!  So I started adding a few frozen blueberries in it to cool it down enough that he'd eat it that morning so we could resume the day.  Now, I add them and cook them a bit so the oatmeal isn't room temperature....I do not like it that way and neither does he anymore. 

I also make my oatmeal with milk.  I like it creamy and using milk gives me my calcium for the day and it tastes creamy and good, even the instant stuff.  I had a coupon awhile back for the Better Than Nature brand of oatmeals.  I had never tried them before but the coupon was a buy one get one free so I figured I'd try it at that price!  I bought several varieties and they are really good!  My favorite is the dark chocolate. I can even get my daughter to eat it because when you put a little dollop of butter on the hot oatmeal, it tastes like a warm chocolate chip cookie! She was a bit skeptical at first but it didn't take her long to start believing me. Especially when I said, 'no, you're right, you probably wouldn't like it.' To a kid that screams, 'this is so unbelievably good I don't want you to have any..!'  Which was what I was really saying. 

Tonight, we're not having oatmeal, I had that for breakfast.  I was supposed to be fasting for a doctor's appointment but I forgot.  I didn't have to give blood anyway so all is well.  Anyway, I'm frying ham, scrambling eggs and hashbrowns, making bisquits and having a winter fruit salad(a can of mandarin oranges, a can of tropical fruit salad and and a handful of frozen blueberries and blackberries.  Everything but the bisquits and frozen fruit were purchased with coupons and didn't cost a bunch.  I'm guessing the entire meal will cost under eight to ten dollars and for my big eaters, that's a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment