Monday, November 1, 2010

My pear tree

When we moved here almost twelve years ago this month, I was really excited because the property had pecan and pear trees and blackberry bushes. I found out that one pear tree has the little tiny pears that are for grinding, which I won't do; one pear has larger pears but they never get soft and one pear that has perfect eating pears!  I use the large hard pears to cook with and today, I made two pear cakes using a recipe from a friend years ago gave me. 

It is soooooo good and certainly makes me feel that fall has arrived!

Pear Cake

4 cups, peeled and diced small pears; the hard ones work best
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
Mix these together and set aside

Add:
1 cup oil or 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup mashed banana, applesauce, pumpkin puree, etc
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 beaten eggs

Sift:
3 cup flour; I use 1/2 white, 1/2 whole wheat
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 t salt

1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients with pear mixture.  Bake in a well greased and floured bundt cake pan 1 hour 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Or:  bake in a greased 9x13 pan for about 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees

Let cool, then drizzle with 1-2 cups powdered sugar and 2-4 tablespoons water.   

My house smells so good and I'm making tea to have with my pear cake.  I also made an extra for my husbands work.  The ladies are always bringing treats and he always eats them so I try to send goodies every so often to treat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment