Thursday, June 9, 2011

Homemade Salsa

My local grocery store had good looking tomatoes for a dollar a pound this week....I'm thinking homemade salsa!  We love it and it's so healthy made at home! My kids will definitely get their five servings of veggies when homemade salsa is around.

I use about 5 pounds of tomatoes when I whip up a batch because usually, I end up sharing with others.  This is one of those recipes that you add as much as you like to your taste recipes.  I'll just give you the basics.

Chopped tomatoes.  I use about 5 pounds but you can use as many or as little as you can use.  I usually hand chop but you can use a food processor if you promise not to pulverize them!

One can- diced tomatoes - put the contents (not the can! I'm being silly today!) in a blender, not a food processor. don't ask me why but a food processor just doesn't seem to work as well.  you'll have to ask a food engineer to explain the difference, school is out for me!  Blend until chunky.

Chop 1-2 onions, I use a sweet white onion this time of year.  I also will chop a few green onions so it is pretty.  Add to the tomatoes to taste.

Chop red/yellow/orange peppers - add to taste, for my 5 pounds, that's one pepper each.

Chop cilantro, garlic and add to taste.  For my 5 pounds, about 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup garlic.

at least one jalapeno pepper/serano/your pepper of choice - I will add a little and wait a couple of hours before adding more.  Each pepper will be uniquely hot so don't assume what you added last time will be the same this go around.....experience speaking!

cumin, for 5 pounds of tomatoes, about 1-2 tablespoons
Lemon juice, 1/2 cup for 5 pounds of tomatoes
add salt to taste or diet preference.

Mix all together and let sit for a couple of hours before adding extra pepper, spices.  This tends to get better as time goes on!

I have frozen this before in freezer containers and just added a green onion once it's thawed.  It's not fresh salsa but it's pretty close in December!  I usually can't keep it around that long though.....

No comments:

Post a Comment