Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken Salad

Everybody has their favorite chicken salad recipe.  I'm sharing mine with you today because spring is when we, at my house, start having more sandwiches.  They're quick, easy to make and easy to eat outside.  April is when we start dining 'al fresco' at my house.  It's an easy way to get everybody to pitch in and clean the outside furniture.  'Gee, we could eat outside if the table and chairs were only clean!'  That usually prompts my wonderful daughter into wiping everything off!  We eat outside at least once a week.  It seems to slow everybody down and the meal becomes more relaxing.  No one jumps up from dinner after it's over.  I have old Christmas lights around the back porch and candles that can be lit if it begins to get dark.  Also, saying 'al fresco' instead of just outside in the backyard sounds more fancy too!

chicken salad

4 cups of diced chicken or 2 13oz. cans of drained chicken (I use whatever I have.  Grilled, baked, rotessiere, any will do)
1 cup real mayo, you can use reduced fat but fat-free really tastes bad!
1 cup crushed drained pineapple- save the juice to marinade chicken later!
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup chopped celery- I usually leave this out because my husband does not like celery!
1/2 cup chopped purple grapes (optional)
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Lawry's lemon pepper seasoning - this is really the key to the flavor

Mix all together and refridgerate for a few hours before serving.
Buy some fancy rolls or bagels to really make this special.  Serve it with lettuce to make it more of a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment