Friday, April 16, 2010

Easy Sloppy Joes!

Tonight is soccer practice.  Today I'm prepping for the garden swap that I'm hosting on Saturday.  Oh, did I mention, I also homeschool my son?  There are a thousand things going on today and I don't have time to cook.  But for some reason, my family thinks they need to eat! To quote Eeyore, my favorite Winnie the Pooh character, Oh Bother!!!

I just visited the freezer, my handy-dandy freezer, and it coughed up an easy dinner.  Thank you freezer for saving me! I'm making sloppy joes. They are super easy because I keep cooked seasoned hamburger meat just for these occasions.  I've got to do some big-batch cooking next week because it was the last package.  I've been busy buying lean hamburger when it is on sale so I've got it ready to cook.  Next week.  I promise!

Easy Weeknight Sloppy Joes

1 1/2 lbs ground beef, I have already added garlic and onion when it was cooked
1 can tomato soup, undiluted
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar, this can be omitted if you are watching sugar intake
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

Heat the ground beef until it is frying in the skillet. If you don't have precooked meat, you will need to cook with about 1/2 cup chopped onion and a clove garlic until brown and then drain.  Stir in the tomato soup and the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.  Serve on hamburger buns. This will make approximately 8 servings. 

It can also be dumped into the crock pot and cooked on low for several hours.  Sometimes, I will double this and put part of it in the freezer for those nights when you don't have 15 minutes to cook!  Just dump it in the crock pot and eat when you get home!

I'll serve this tonight with carrots and celery and low fat dip, cut up apples and oranges. 

Quick, easy on the budget and a sure kid pleaser!

No comments:

Post a Comment