Friday, April 30, 2010

Polk Salad

I making polk salad tonight with dinner.  Some people call it poke salad.  I don't know which one is correct, maybe both are, I don't know.  I have a bunch of polk growing around the yard.  When we first moved here, we didn't have any but I dug some at my parent's house and transplanted it in one of my wildflower beds.  It is doing quite well so I've got enough to make a mess of polk salad. 

Now, if you live in the south, you'd know that a mess is a description for a platefull.  It can be used for fish or any other thing you have a lot of.  I picked a bucketful of polk You want to pick young, fresh polk because it gets tough when it gets too old.  That's why spring is the perfect time to get your polk salad fix.

Polk Salad - this is NOT LOW FAT in any way!!!!!

Pick and wash polk well. Place in a large pot and cover with water, bring to a rapid boil for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold  water. You will do this two more times.  Drain and rinse with cold water. Let drain completely.


Meantime fry bacon and save drippings; set aside. Clean and cut onion in quarters. Saute the onion in the bacon fat until translucent.  Add 1/4 cup or so of vinegar, salt to taste to the sauted onion. Serve and garnish with a hard boiled egg and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment