Thursday, April 29, 2010

Favorite Flower

Have I said lately that I like spring?  I'm not sure that it's my favorite season, I'm not sure I have a favorite because there is something about each season that I really adore.  But spring, spring is special.  Spring is seeing new live grow before your eyes.  Spring is a robin egg blue sky with every shade of green growing all around.  Spring in Oklahoma means no humidity and cool nights so you can leave the windows open.  Spring means sitting on the back or front porch watching the thunderstorms streak across the sky. 

The other day, my daughter and I were working in the yard and gardens.  She likes to help me and mostly talk to me when we are outside.  We have some of the most interesting conversations out in the garden.  She is learning to be a very good little gardener.  I think it is special that I am passing on my love of gardening to my daughter just as it was passed on to me from my mother and grandmothers.  When she is older, I can see her coming to my house to visit and leaving with a trunkload of garden starts just as I do when I leave my mom's house!

When we were walking around the garden this week, she asked me what my favorite flower was.  It took me a while but I finally said, 'whatever is blooming'.  She laughed and laughed and told me that sounded like something her five year old cousin would say!  I told her maybe I'm not too far away from being a child even though to her it seems like I am a hundred.  My favorite flower is the one that is blooming.  I couldn't pick just one if I tried.  As spring progresses into summer and summer into fall, my favorites change.  My flower arrangement on the kitchen counter changes as the seasons change and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I enjoy the changing flowers.  I always have a favorite one blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment