Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Making Frugal Gifts....

I'm going to post this week some frugal gifts that we have made over the years.  We like to make gifts for just about everyone from grandmas down to sunday school teachers.  I think it's nice to be remembered, even if it's just a little something.  That little something shows that you appreciate them and thought of them.  It goes a long way......I've been there.

Here's a recipe for candy cane bath salts I've made many times.  I've used mason jars (you'll need the tall jelly jars) and gone to discount stores and found cheap, funky containers to put it in.  One year, at a glass manufacturers sale, I found a decorative jar that let me put miniature candy canes in the lid.  Usually, I just tie a candy cane on with a pretty ribbon.

Guaranteed to make your house smell wonderful!!!!

Candy Cane bath salts

2 4lb cartons Epsom Salts
4 pounds sea salt or kosher salt (buy this at the supermarket in a big bag)
1/2 teaspoon glycerin
12-15 drops peppermint essential oil (health food stores will carry this)
12-15 drops red food color

Empty one carton Epsom salts into a large mixing bowl.  Add 1/2 the salt and stir well.  Stir in 1/4 teaspoon glycerin and 7 drops of the peppermint oil.  Mix well.

In a large plastic bag, mix the remaining epsom salt and sea salt. Add the remaining glycerin, oil and the food color.  Mix well, color should be even.  I put this is in a large plastic bag because it's easier to mix around the food coloring.   I use a trash bag and tie it closed.

Depending on the size of container you have, layer about one inch of the white then one inch of the pink until you reach the top.  Close tightly and decorate. 

I usually make a pretty handmade tag to tell the recipient what it is and how to use it:
  1/4 cup in a warm bath

No comments:

Post a Comment