Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What to do today?

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do today....should we make gingerbread cookies first or do the house cleaning?  Of course, I'd like to forget house cleaning altogether and just bake but someone has to clean....and that would be me!

A few years ago, when I started working outside of the home, I felt overwhelmed by Christmas duties.  I sat down the family and asked what they most needed at Christmas.  What did they absolutely need to have a Christmastime for it to be Christmas.  My daughter said 'gingerbread cookies and a gingerbread house.' My son said  'Christmas tree.' Typical boy, as if we'd not have a tree!  My husband said toffee.  I noticed no one said, 'house decorated from top to bottom inside and out.'  Everything they said seemed to center around food and being together.  For me, it was the sunday night advent meal that we have.  Some nights, it ends up being on Monday night or Saturday night because someone has to be somewhere on Sunday night but it's a once a week time when we sit down, light candles, read the bible and remember the Reason for this Season!

Puts it all into perspective for me.  Reminds me that it's ok not be completely ready for everything.  Mary and Joseph certainly weren't....they traveled to Bethlehem without a reservation at a hotel!  If they could do that, I can certainly trust God to take care of me and the family.  He's done a great job so far!

I don't get all bent out of shape when everything doesn't get put up at Christmas.  I don't get bent out of shape if the outside lights look like three reindeer and a camel.  I don't get bent out of shape if the gingerbread people look like people who have been through a nuclear meltdown.  It's not about perfection, it's about being together and making memories. 

Sure made Christmas more fun!  I'm going to bake gingerbread.....I'm hoping an elf will clean house!

No comments:

Post a Comment