Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fall may really be here....

Sometimes I battle seasonal depression at this time of year.  The days are getting shorter, the sunlight is fading earlier and earlier and plants are beginning to pack it in and go into the dormancy of winter.  I was thinking of this today as I was going to pick up my daughter from school.  I was waiting for a train, something that happens quite a bit here in Claremore, looking out the window and daydreaming.  Even though it was just before three, it looked quite closer to five.  The shadows were growing across the open field that was showing definite signs of death.  That old claw of depression began to creep closer.

Suddenly, I really for the first time began to see the beauty of that moment.  Here I was, in the car, all by my wonderful self. Listening to soft music on the radio.  Gazing out of the window at a very beautiful, clear, blue October sky.  I found myself thanking God for the sky, thanking God for the many shades of brown that lay in the field, thanking God for the ability to drive to pick up my daughter after school!  That old depression suddenly was as far away as it is on a warm, sunshiny, June day! 

It's easy to slip into a meloncholy mood during the fall and winter.  I think it has to do with both seasons and hormones for women.  I've found the way to keep that dark mood at bay.  Being thankful!  By actively looking for things to be thankful for, I can remember just how blessed I truly am.  A person, who is so blessed and knows it has a hard time sinking into that fall moodiness.

About that time, the train passed and I met my daughter at our normal pick up spot. We laughed about her day and she as she ate her apple for snack, she said, 'I think I really need a cream slush, mom.'  I had a choice to make then, do I do the 'mom' thing and say 'no, not today. I have too much to do at home.' Or do I take that moment and enjoy my little girl, who is very quickly becoming a woman,  with two cream slushes?  I chose the cream slushes.  I chose the the thirty minutes of sitting in the car and talking.  There will always time to do the chores, read the paper and clean the floor.  There will never be enough time to enjoy my childrens childhood.....

No comments:

Post a Comment