Monday, October 25, 2010

A song in my heart

We are studying in Sunday school about songs.  Our teacher stated that God planned for us to have a song in our hearts.  My husband gave me one of those looks.  You know the kind.  For me, this time, it meant, 'I think she's talking about you!'

I'm always singing.  All day, everyday, I'm usually singing and since I usually listen to Christian music radio stations, that means that I'm usually singing some Christian song.  It's nice to have a song running around in my head all day.  But I don't just leave it in my head.  I sing out loud.  Sometimes really out loud!

Another oddity that I have, is that I can hear a song a few times and know it by heart.  I still remember the songs that we used to sing when I was a kid at church.  I used to wake up my parents on saturday mornings singing the choir songs at the top of my lungs. 

I've never really thought about this much until lately.  It seems as I've gotten older, I've become less aware of when I'm singing out loud and when I'm not.  I've actually gotten compliments in the grocery aisle from total strangers, if we can be total strangers in my small town!  I hear a song, I join along.  It's what I do!

My sister used to say that I could make up a song about a lid and a straw and she's probably right.  I can usually make up songs on the fly too.  Words, rythm, it all just is running around in my head.  I could never have been Amish. I read a book about them and they are not allowed to sing except at church and church songs.  Well, I sing everywhere and it does not have to be church songs!  I would have been kicked out a long time ago.  Well, my foremothers would probably already have been kicked out before I ever got the chance!

Back to the sunday school lesson, the teacher stated that joyful people sing.  That usually the more joyful you are, the more inclined you are to break out in song!  I began to think about times when I have been less than joyful.  I realized that during those times, I didn't sing much.  It is true! The more joyful I am, the more singing I do. 

Now the question remains, do I sing because I am joyful or do I sing to keep me joyful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment