Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pork Roast and Fried Apples

Fall means apples at my house.  Fried apples to be exact. Last night was pork roast and fried apples. It was good and because I made a very large roast, I now have enough leftovers in the freezer to have a repeat later in the month with very little work!

I cooked my pork roast in my big crock pot.  I just dumped it in and pour about two cups of apple juice over the top.  About half way through cooking, I slathered apple butter on the top.  Just before serving, I deboned it and took off any fat.  Kate loves these nights! I strained the juice and cooked noodles in about half of it and froze the rest apart from the extra meat.  This allows me options to either have pulled pork sandwiches or pork and noodles later.  I can always use the broth in other recipes.  It's a bit sweet with the apple juice so I usually use it to cook noodles in.

Now for the apples, this is so super easy that it's embarassing I'm actually  printing a recipe!
At least one apple per eater.  I usually make more because they are really good for breakfast with oatmeal or over waffles.  Peel the apple and slice into thick slices.  I usually make six to eight large apples.
1/4 or less butter
1/4-1 cup brown sugar
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg, if desired
Place the butter in a large skillet and let it melt over high heat.  Add the apples and turn the heat to medium.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes.  You don't want them to turn to mush!
After about 10 minutes, add 1/4-1 cup brown sugar to taste.  I go for less, I feel the apples should be a bit tart.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired.
The butter and brown sugar will carmelize and they are so good!

I serve these alongside pork at this time of year.  But they can also be served as dessert or over ice cream.  You can add pecans or other nuts or any dried fruit.if you like.

My husband was scarfing these down and asked how I made them.  I told him and he just looked at me and said 'is that it?' I started laughing and asked, 'did you think it was really hard?' He shrugged and commented that they were so good he just figured they were hard to make!  Little does he know!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment