Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cleaning out closets - part two!

Today, I'm still in the cleaning out the closets mode. I'll tackle the kids closets later in the week. I don't like to do too much in one day, it stresses me out, so I just try to accomplish one small task and move on to something else. I think my attention span is so small that it's easier for me if I just do a little at a time. It doesn't seem so impossible!

Yesterday, I talked about purging your closet of old things you no longer use. Some people really have a problem with letting go of old clothes. They see them as memories or friends. I understand, I am in this category! I found a way for me to gently get rid of things without that withdrawal feeling. I hope it helps you if you're one of 'those people'!

I rotate my clothing between two closets. I am currently using winter clothes so my summer clothes have been placed in a spare bedrooms closet. This makes me responsible for moving the items two times a year, I take that time to go through and donate items. In a few weeks, I will begin moving the winter items back into the spare bedroom. As I do, I will look at my old things and get rid of things that have become too worn to wear outside of the house. I usually keep one or two fleeces or sweatshirts that I wear on Saturdays to lay around the house in. The rest of those things go in the donate pile. If I won't wear it out, I need to get rid of it!

I also donate any piece of clothing that wasn't worn in that season. This is a real eye-opener the first time you do it. You will realize that you really only wear a few pieces in your wardrobe. Forcing myself to donate anything I didn't wear this season actually makes me wear more of my clothing. This reduces the 'I don't have anything to wear' syndrome so you will actually shop less! I am wearing a shirt today that I haven't worn all season. I know if I don't wear it at least once, I have to donate it.

I work the same system on my shoes, purses and jackets/coats. Besides, purging my closet of unworn clothing, it gives me a good look at pieces that need replacing. I am currently on the lookout for a couple of specific sweaters because mine are probably only going to make it this season!

Tomorrow, I'll begin to tackle the kids closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment