Thursday, February 4, 2010

Special Weeknight Cake

Since I started January with my rant about fudge, I'm thinking February ought to start on the same sweet note! Not everybody likes chocolate, although I seriously doubt someone's sanity when they say that, so I thought I'd give you a favorite cake recipe we have often at my house.

I know reading this blog, you think all we do is sit around and eat, especially sweets! That's not really true. I just don't keep a lot of sweet store-bought foods around so I have an arsenal of recipes to create treats for my family. Some are healthier than others. I don't want my family to think any food or category is 'off-limits's. After working with kids for most of my adult life, I realize telling someone it is 'off-limits' harkens back to the Eve effect and then guilt and then out-of-control, I-give-up kind of eating! I want my kids to understand control and serving size.

I serve this cake with fresh, frozen fruit that I picked last summer. Usually, it's blackberries. This year, I had a bumper crop so I have bags and bags to use up and my family is more than happy to help!

Jello Cake
1 pkg. lemon cake mix - or from scratch
1 small package jello, can be lemon or something else tart
1/4 Cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup water
4 eggs or egg substitute

Mix all but eggs together. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes until done. While baking, mix 2 cups powdered sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice. When cake is done, punch holes in top using a toothpick or spoon. Pour lemon juice and sugar mixture over while cake is still hot.

Today, I'm making a lemon cake with rasperry jello and serving it with blackberries! This is equally good with strawberry cake and strawberry jello(serve with strawberries) or a lemon cake and orange jello(serve with mandarin oranges). You can also change up the juice that you mix with the powdered sugar. I have used lime, pineapple and blackberry juice. It's all good!

I got this recipe from an old cookbook I bought at a church sale. Some recipes never get old!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment