Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Rid of Zucchini!

As I've said before, I have quite a bit of zuchinni this year.  I've made bread, cookies, grilled it, stir-fried it, battered and fried it, hid it in frittatas, lasagna and spaghetti, just to name a few of the creative ways.  Most of the time, my darling daughter will not let it pass her lips.  She had declared rather loudly that she does not care of zuchinni!  We do declare things rather loudly in our household.  One time the kids told me that dad yells the most.  I almost hit the floor laughing! If anyone in our house yells, it would be me!  But apparently, since I seem to do it almost constantly, the kids regard me as just talking loud all the time.  But when dad yells, well, that is something that doesn't happen often so it is remembered.  Anyway, my daughter will not eat much zuchinni.

I have tried to be really creative this summer with the bounty and I have finally struck upon a recipe that she loves!  Zuchinni fritters are now one of her new favorite foods! I got the recipe from here:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Patties/Detail.aspx
and as usual I have adapted it a bit to fit my tastes.

Zuchinni Fritters

2 cups grated zucchini, I do this in advance and squeeze out the water

1/2 cup kernal corn, I've been using fresh but frozen will work if thawed.


2 eggs, beaten, can be egg beaters

1/4 cup chopped onion, I pre-cook these in the microwave until they are translucent so my daughter can't tell they are in there, she also doesn't like onions!

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, I use the real stuff, not the can stuff

1/2 cup shredded any cheese, my favorite, sharp cheddar!

salt to taste

spray oil, like Pam
 
Mix all the ingredients together except the oil and fry by placing 1/2 cup or so into the skillet that you've sprayed with the oil.  Cook on each side until brown.  Serve hot.  Makes 8 fritters.
 
This takes the place of a potato or rice dish so I usually serve grilled chicken or polish sausage, zuchinni fritters and slice tomatoes.  Great summer meal!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment