Friday, March 26, 2010

Garden! Oh boy!

I am so ready to be outside in the garden. So far in Oklahoma, we've had several days that are warm enough to be outside in the garden. I am a bit of a fair weather gardener. I don't want to be outside bundled up from head to toe just to dig in the dirt. I will drag brush and rake in the cold but to actually do some dirt gardening, I like it to be at least warm enough for a light jacket.

This year, gardening is taking on a new meaning with Kate, the german shephard. Have I told you that she love, love, loves me? Me. The one who could really live without her. I deal with amazing guilt because I'm really the only one in the family that could see her go tomorrow and not miss her much. The rest of the family is so in love with her. Not me. I just tolerate her and she really love, love, loves me the best. She wants to sit in my lap! She outweighs me and she wants me to hold her. When I finally give in and let her crawl half her body onto my lap, she tries to sneak a lick! Yuck....nothing like a tongue as large as your entire hand slobbering your face.

She follows me around the yard and tries to help me. When I dig, she digs. When I kneel down to pick up something, she thinks it's time for a kiss. When I drag a stick to the burn pile, she retrieves it for me. She tries really hard to help!

This week, I'm planning to transplant my tomato plants into the garden. I will put them under glass for a few weeks to get them ready for outside. I already have lettuce, spinach, peas, carrots, onions and parsley growing. Soon, I'll be planting all the rest of the veggie garden. Luckily, my hubby built a fence to keep giraffes out the first year we lived here. It is actually to keep out the herds of deer that grow wild around here but it looks like a giraffe cage.

Maybe it will keep out Kate also........

No comments:

Post a Comment