Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Today is my daughters twelveth birthday. It sure doesn't seem like twelve years has past since she's been here. Some days it seems like a blink and some days it seems like forever, like I never had a life before my kids were born!

Somewhere along the line, my daughter got the idea that she was a princess. I'm not sure when it happened but one day I realized that she thought that the entire kingdom should stop because it was her birthday! She's never had to go to school on her birthday because it's always been over spring break. He dad usually takes off work for her birthday and grandparents come over. She honestly thought that everybody had a day off for her birthday! Might possibly be because I refer to myself as the 'queen of the ponderosa' quite often! If I'm the queen, then she naturally has to be the princess!

This year, my husband and I are going to do some special things for her, just she and us. Her brother is off on a mission trip so that's like a gift too! Brother takes off and gives you five days alone! Happy birthday! I'm looking forward to spending quality time with just her. She's turning into quite a young woman and sometimes it scares the bejezus out of me! Next thing I know, I'll be sitting on the front porch, in over-alls, with the shotgun watching her drive away on a date with some good-for-nothing boy!

If the next twelve years pass as fast as these last ones have, I'm not quite sure I'm ready. Maybe we can just slow down a bit.....and stay at twelve for a while!

A few years ago, I found a recipe for a very easy ice cream cake made out of ice cream bars. She had nine girls one year for a slumber party so I needed an easy quick cake! I have used it several times since and it is one of the most requested recipes from my friends. It's almost embarrassing to hand over because it really looks like it takes more time than it does!

Ice Cream Bar Cake

18-24 ice cream bars, unwrapped; these can be any flavor you choose
large tub of cool whip
ice cream toppings (whatever you like) I have used: strawberry/chocolate; carmel/chocolate

In a 9x13 pan, lay ice cream bars side by side until they cover the bottom of the pan. You can break them to fill in sides. Place a third of the cool whip on top of the bars. Drizzle the ice cream toppings over the cool whip and repeat with bars, cool whip and drizzle. If you want to write happy birthday in icing, drizzle before the cool whip. Store in freezer.

This is great for a kids birthday party because it's cake and ice cream in one!

No comments:

Post a Comment