Thursday, May 27, 2010

Greek Salad

I went to the garden and came out with green onions, lettuce, spinach and sugar snap peas.  What to do about dinner? Well, I made a greek salad! When I do a salad, I usually make them individually because each person in the family likes certain things except me.  If it grows in the ground, I like it.  Except lima beans, don't care for the texture.  But I'm planting them after the peas finish producing for my daughter, who really loves them!

Here's my recipe, feel free to exclude anything that you don't like!

Greek Salad
leaf lettuce and spinach
 feta cheese, crumbled
olives, I use calamata but kids might just like plain old black
sliced beets, you can use a can/jar. I use the ones I have canned and they are pickled.
Tomatoes, green onions, carrots, cucumbers, red peppers anything else you can get the family to eat!
Diced pineapple - I know this is weird but we had a place in Indiana that had the best greek salad and they put pineapple on the salad.  It gives the salad a little sweet in an otherwise tart salad!
I put sliced grilled chicken from my big batch cooking because my son doesn't think it is a meal unless it has meat!

Fill each salad plate with the amount the person wants, then add all the extras to taste.

Dressing:
I lifted this off the internet and changed it a bit to suit our tastes so feel free to omit anything your family doesn't like.
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons (t) oregano
2 t basil
2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t black pepper
1 1/2 t dried onion pieces
1 t honey mustard
1 cup red wine vinegar

You could also just use prepared but I don't like them because they usually contain sugar and we get enough of that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment