Thursday, May 13, 2010

Irish Tacos

Potatoes are really cheap right now.  Around here, you can buy a ten pound bag for under two dollars if you shop around.  My kids like baked potatoes and I like that they are healthy and full of fiber and easy to make. 

I worked at a small private school when I lived in Indiana.  Lunch was included as a small salary perk.  They really knew how to cook!  It was good food and I didn't have to worry about packing a lunch every day.  I even got a few really good recipes from those wonderful ladies.  One was irish tacos.  Instead of giving each kid taco shells, which got smashed up because eating tacos at school is a pretty messy job.  They gave each child a baked potato and put the taco fixings on top.  Easy and really good.  It's one of my own kids favorite meals just like it was at school.

Irish Tacos

1 baked potato for each person
1/4 cup of taco meat
1/4 cup black, pinto or any kind of beans
lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, sour cream, black olives, salsa....anything else you eat on your taco

This makes a great party food for kids too.  I serve it as a bar style where everyone goes by and tops their own potato the way they like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment