Friday, May 28, 2010

Grilled Veggies and Potatoes

I realized this week that when I said on Monday that I'd give you this recipe on Monday that you couldn't cook it over the weekend as you were firing up that old grill! So, I'm posting it today! The friday before Memorial day weekend!

As a tribute to Memorial Day, take a moment to read about the American Legion Poppies and their meaning.  It is a true tribute to the men and women who have served our country, willing to give their lives for our freedom.  If you happen to see someone selling poppies this weekend, buy one to support our wounded veterans!

This is one of those recipes that changes each time I cook it because I use what I have on hand or what I have from the garden.  you can make as much or as little as you want and now for the best part, it cooks on the grill while the meat is cooking! Add this to a salad and bread and the kitchen stays pretty clean!

Grilled Veggies and Potatoes
about 1/2 potato per person, this can be new, yukon gold, regular white/red, sweet; peeled and sliced pretty thin
mixed chopped veggies: zuchini, yellow squash, pepper, onions, etc. slice these about 1/2 inch thick, they cook faster than the potato
sliced mushrooms, if desired, I like portabello

on a large piece of heavy duty foil, sprayed with cooking spray or oiled, place potatoes and veggies.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other spice or herb you like.  I sometimes use a no salt greek seasoning if I don't have fresh herbs.  I've placed pieces of rosemary or basil on top of the veggies.  Sprinkle either garlic powder or fresh garlic over.  Place another sprayed piece of foil on top and fold the edges several times to close all around.

Place over medium heat on the grill for about 15 minutes, then very carefully turn over for another 5-10 minutes.  Remove onto a baking sheet and unfold one end to check the potatoes for doneness.

I always make lots of extras because this is the best start for a sunday night frittata! All the veggies are already done, just add eggs, cheese and meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment