Friday, July 9, 2010

Blackberry Jam/Jelly/Spread

Today I'm making blackberry jam/jelly/spread.  I don't really know what to call it because it's not really jelly because I'm not using just juice and it's not really jam because I am not using the whole fruit.  It's more of a spread really because I cooked the fruit and ran it through a colander to sieve out the seeds.  I also make my spread a bit more thin than some people because I just like a bit more soft.  I hate making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and have to tear the bread up to spread the jelly/jam!

I like making jellies, it makes me think that I'm preparing for winter.  I always look at myself as an ant instead of a grasshopper.  Don't get me wrong, I have my share of fun.  I just also like to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst!  I also get extreme satisfaction during those dark, winter months when I reach into the storage pantry and pull out a jar of jelly that I made during the summer.  It makes picking those berries worth it.

Since I also not working, I am getting a start on Christmas gifts.  When I worked, I really appreciated a homemade gift around Christmas because it always got so hectic.  I'm making small half pint jars of jams and jellies to pair with a homemade loaf of bread for our neighbors, my daughters teachers and the kid's teachers at church.  It won't be expensive but just the simple act of letting them know you appreciated them enough to spend some time preparing something special was always special to me. 

I'll be sharing a few ideas in the next few months for inexpensive Christmas ideas that I've used over the years.  They have always gotten rave reviews when the kids passed them out and they would work just as well to let co-workers know you were thinking of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment