Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Picking, picking, picking!

Tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, squash, basil, corn, blackberries.......tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, squash, basil, corn, blackberries.......tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, squash, basil, corn, blackberries.......I seem to be in a bit of a rut!  At least every other day, that's my routine.  I have to do it early in the morning because it's been so humid here with rain almost every afternoon that even at eight o'clock in the morning, I am wet with sweat by the time I finish.

I am not like a lot of southern women who do not seem to sweat but glow or perspire.  I sweat, I sweat alot.  Gallons it seems.  There seems to be a spigot on the top of my head that runs down past my brow and into my eyes and then on down until it collects in my muck boots.  My grandma would sweat alot.  When she worked outside, and she did alot because she had an extensive flower garden, she would wear a rag on her head and carry a rag in her bra.  As a kid, I found this incredibly embarrassing and gross.  As an adult, I can understand the wisdom in her ways.  I usually wear a wound up bandana around my head and have been know to carry a rag in my pocket.  I'm not as endowed as my grandma was so if I tried to stuff one in my bra it would look very lopsided. 

When I'm out there sweating out the impurities from my system, I try to imagine what it would have been like a hundred years ago when a person couldn't get into the air conditioning as soon as they were finished.  I understand why that old creek looked so good.  My own swimming pool gets jumped into a lot in the summer after I've been working.  Sometimes with all my clothes on, they were all wet anyway! 

During this time of year, I always try to thank God each and everyday for air conditioning and the ability to pay for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment