Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Crazy Good Lemon Zucchini Cookies!

Ok, so I got back from vacation and apparently, my zucchini went into overdrive while I was away.  Geesh, I was only gone four days and I had four Giant Zucchini!  What to do, what to do?  Here's the rundown on how I got rid of all four!

1. I grilled one and had it with grilled chicken.  I just split one into two pieces and brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled both sides with greek seasonings.  About ten minutes on each side with the grill on low and my son ate almost half by himself!  My daughter won't touch a zucchini, never have and stated just yesterday, 'never will!'

2.  Made zucchini bread with one. Recipe will be later in the week.  It's actually good for you with flaxseed and whole wheat flour.

3.  Made two batches of lemon zucchini cookies!  Oh, these are soooo good.  I'm going to have one tonight with some decaf Earl Grey tea.  I found this recipe here:  http://southernfood.about.com/od/zucchinirecipes/r/bl30627i.htm
of course, I made a few changes so I'll give you my revised recipe.

Lemon zucchini cookies
3/4 cup butter/margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest OR 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract ( I used lime zest because I didn't have any lemons)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded zucchini, drained
1 cup chopped toasted nuts ( I used pecans)

Cream the butter and sugar and beat in the egg and lemon zest or extract.  Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and mix into the wet ingredients.  Stir in the zucchini and chopped nuts. 
Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until the edges begin to slightly brown. 
Glaze the cooled cookies with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon (in my case, lime) juice.
Makes about 3 dozen small cookies.
Next time, I'm going to add a dash more zest because the lime was a bit tame.  I would like a tad more of the citrus flavor. 

Going to sit down and have a couple with a cup of Earl Grey decaf tea, these cookies make me crave english tea! I'll be making these often this summer.....

1 comment: