Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Mornings

Ah, monday mornings.  Sometimes, I just love monday mornings. I used to dread them when I was working because I never had gotten all the things that needed to be done over the weekends.    The weekends were when I got caught up on all the things that didn't get done over the past week.  My husband was home so he could help with the kids and they would go to bed at a decent hour.  Oh, and since hubby is an early riser, he would get the kids breakfast on saturday mornings while I slept in to at least 7:30 or 8:00! 

Now all that has changed.  I have a teenager and one so close to being there that she behaves like one.  They have very active social lives so if one of us is not dropping off or waiting to pick up then then they are at home with two or twelve of their close personal friends.  Watching tv, swimming, playing lazer tag outside preferably, or video games inside, pretty much hogging all the space in the house!  And have I mentioned eating?  Especially the boys.  They'll eat pretty much anything but I am known for my food preparations.  They all want to eat!  This happens almost every weekend.  By Sunday night, I'm just pooped!

This is not to say I don't enjoy this time.  I love having all the kids over and hanging out.  I try to keep a super teenager stocked pantry so they want to come over.  My thought is if they are here, I know where they are and what they are doing.  It's not that my kids have friends from bad families.  All my kids friends have very nice families and I know and trust the parents.  I just enjoy having them at my house!  But this makes the weekends so very exhausting!  

You see, they do not have a sense of time anymore.  Their bodies do not tell them it is night and time for bed.  When my daughter was born, she had her days and nights mixed up.  She would sleep all day and then want to stay up all night.  It really wore me out the first few days.  There was nothing I could do to make her stay awake during the day!  Finally, a dear neighbor took my son to her house one day and I carried her around keeping her up and giving her about 5 baths (she hated baths!) and she finally slept a few hours straight that night!  I think these teenagers have their days and nights mixed up. 

We are putting the finishing touches on plans to build a new garage and turn our old one into  a teen cave/family room.  A place they can go and hang out and yell and scream and not disturb me.  I can't wait!  I know it will be a hassle while it is being built but in the end, it will be worth the wait.  Maybe when we get it built, on Mondays, I'll take my coffee and have my quiet time down in the teen cave.  It will be early in the morning so all the teens will still be asleep and all will be well in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment