Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Crazy weather - snow ice cream!

I was planting tulips on saturday in 75 degree weather and now I'm preparing for the BLIZZARD of epic proportions!  No really, they are saying that this could be the biggest snowfall that Oklahoma has ever seen...well this year at least!

People here are crazy when it comes to snow.  I'll wager that all the bread, milk and toilet paper is gone in Claremore, Oklahoma before midnight!  It is amazing to think that many people, who can afford it, do not have enough food in their pantry to go a few days without running to the grocery store.  I've been baking and making stew so if we need to warm up things on the woodstove.  I've cooked before on it and it's actually kind of fun, for a few days.

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best!  I've gathered the batteries, radio, flashlights, lanterns, and charged all the cameras, video cameras, video players, etc, in case we are without power for a few days.

I did my normal weekly grocery shopping today to pick up the sales and had to make sure I had enough ingredients to make a few snow ice creams over the next few days.  If you haven't had it, I'll post my two favorite recipes today.  If I don't post in the next few days, you'll know that we had a little extra family time!

Don Woods Snow Ice Cream
1 can evaporated milk
1 egg - I use 1/4 cup egg substitute, don't want to give everybody salmonella!
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 gallon clean snow
Beat everything but snow, then fold in snow.

I was given a snow ice cream recipe years ago that's just as good but easier to make.
Here it is:
8 cups snow
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla extract
Mix together. This one is fantastic and really easy!


We'll probably be able to have them both in the next few days!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment