Monday, February 28, 2011

Little Woman...

I never gave being small very much thought until just a few years ago.  I saw a picture of myself with some students at prom and one of the very tall boys said, 'Wow, I just realized just how short you are!', as if he was seeing me for the first time in that photograph.  He actually had seen me almost everyday of his high school life!  It struck me that, I never had realized how short I was either until he pointed it out....You see, I'm five foot three if I stand really tall and stick my boobs out and my shoulders back.  I'm also fairly thin.  Not extremely thin but thin enough that people say things like, 'go ahead and eat (you fill in the blank), you can afford the calories.  Yeah, right, I wouldn't be thin if I ate like that!

 My husband and I had one of those rare Sundays when both kids are doing something after church so we went out to eat!  We try to get in a little alone time when we can...doesn't happen often but it's fun when we do.  As we were leaving, a young woman came hobbling up on a pair of spiky black boots.  My husband poked me and said, 'That's what you need.' To which my comeback was, 'I already have a pair of black boots."  He then proceeded to point out that mine were not spikey like the one the girl was wearing.  He knows I don't like high heels so he thought he'd be funny!  'Nah;, I said,' I don't like wearing high heels because if you have to cut into a run to catch and woop-up on someone, they are a bit restricting...'   He stopped in the parking lot and said, 'only you would say something like that!' He was laughing and laughing as I simply got into the minivan and waited for him to start the car.

He's right, I'm like a little toy poodle who doesn't know just how little it really is.  It's never come up because when I'm mad, I apparently blow myself up like a puffer fish because kids, like big football player boys, tuck their tails between their legs and start acting better immediately.  I guess you could say I just have one of those personalities that seems bigger than the person it inhabits.......

Maybe it's the southern woman in me, you know, like steel magnolias.  Sweet and hospitable but don't get her mad, she turns into a water moccasin!  And my kids say the madder I get the more southern the accent comes out.  They know just how far to push  before my Scarlet O'Hare comes shooting to the surface......

Being little has never bothered me, I've never given it much thought......I've never been anything else.  I has it's rewards sometimes.  You get to stand in the front for a parade for instance.  You also never get asked to reach up and get something. You also don't have to worry about the dust up high,....I don't see it, it doesn't bother me, so if it bothers you, here's the dust rag!

No comments:

Post a Comment