Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Day Beef Stew

Since we're snowed in and probably will be the rest of the week, I've just turned my house into a clothes pit.  It is hard not to be grinch-like on snow days.  My kids get all dressed up, go outside for five minutes, roll around in the snow and then come back in before I even sit down!  Then they proceed to strip off all the wet, snowy mess in the sunroom and parade it all before the wood stove to dry.  So my sunroom looks like a dirty show store and my living room looks like my dryer has quit!

Oh well, we don't get much snow and I know for a fact no one will be visiting us unexpectedly!  Unless you have a snowplow, you won't be coming down this drive-way.  So I'm just going with the flow, let the snow day come, I'm putting on stew and heading outside to take pictures of our massive snow! 

Snow Day Beef Stew
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into cubes
1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions

Add oil to a large dutch oven or large pan with a lid. Brown the meat, season with the salt and add onions.  Cook until the onions are tender.

Add the rest of the ingredients:
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
3 cups beef broth or beef boullion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2-3 large potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 sweet potato, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (I add if I have...)
1 cup chopped carrots (I use baby carrots and do not cut)
 Cover and simmer until potato and carrots are tender.
Add 30 minutes before serving:
3/4 cup frozen peas

This is not a tomato based stew that is so good!  Add cornbread and you've got a great snow day meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment