Thursday, June 10, 2010

Homemade Smoothies

My kids love smoothies and they are low fat and easy to make.  I can throw in all kinds of fruits to make them really healthy too!  The only problem is that they require me to make them and now that it's summer, each of us get up at different times! So this week, I've been planning to play with the recipe I have for smoothies to make an easy, kid-friendly recipe for one that each kid can make without me. 

Here's my latest version.  I really don't like using yogurt that is laden with sugar, high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners so I use the plain yogurt.  You could use any yogurt though. I have a friend who is giving me a kefir starter so I will be trying it with that once I get it going.

Homemade Smoothies

2 Tablespoons frozen yogurt - this is plain yogurt that I have frozen on waxed paper by the tablespoon.  Not frozen yogurt like in ice cream!
1 cup frozen fruit- like blueberries, blackberries, cherries, cut up bananas, strawberries
1 1/2 cups milk, if milk is a problem, you can use juice and just omit the protein powder.
2 tablespoons sugar free instant breakfast powder or any protein powder.  I use the splenda instant breakfast in either vanilla or chocolate.

Blend in blender well. This makes enough for two medium smoothies or one large one for my son!

I have put the two tablespoons of frozen yogurt and the frozen fruit in baggies labeled smoothies in my freezer with the rest of the ingredients listed on the bag and have run through the blender instructions to my almost fourteen year old and twelve year old.  They are getting quite good at making their own!

I don't think this would be a good idea for younger kids but you could premix the yogurt and fruit for yourself and make it easy for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment