Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Birthday

On Sunday, I turned 43.  Big deal! I've been saying that I'm 43 for a couple of months.  It drives my daughter positively crazy.  Apparently, I can't say I am older than I am.  I say, if I claim it, I own it and will get to be 43 for at least a year! I sometimes play mind games with myself to justify some of the crazy things I think!

Aging has never bothered me.  I think it's because I've always had an old soul.  I seem to always enjoy the company of older women.  Older women don't try to compete with one another as much.  They also just accept you as you are.  I think as we age, we tend to overlook other people's faults because we can finally see that maybe, just maybe, we aren't as perfect as we thought we were. 

I don't feel older.  I actually only feel like I'm in my twenties which would be weird since I have an almost fourteen year old and a twelve year old!  I can remember one of my grandpa's saying that he always felt about twenty-seven years old.  I don't know why he felt twenty-seven.  I should have asked him.  He used to tell me that even though his body didn't do what he wanted it to do anymore, his mind was as sharp as it used to be.  He was a very spry old man and a lot of fun to be around!  He played the fiddle missing two fingers on one hand better than most people with all their fingers.  I would dance around and sing and sing when he played.  I wish he could play today for my children but he passed away when they were too little to remember much about him. 

He also said that he knew that we had an eternal soul because his soul never aged.  As I get older, I understand what he meant.  Just as he felt twenty-seven when he was seventy, I don't feel any older on the inside.  My soul hasn't aged one bit all these years.  I think that's the age I will be in heaven and it does seem that I feel about twenty-seven.......

No comments:

Post a Comment