Monday, June 28, 2010

Sweet Corn

A good friend of mine got me a bushel of sweet corn while I was away at camp! The same good friend that gave me my kefir start.  She is some good friend! 

While I was outside, sitting under my big oak tree shucking corn, (this was the same tree I killed the BIG snake a few weeks ago), I was thinking back to childhood.  My mom would buy several bushels of sweet corn to put up for winter.  My sister and I were supposed to shuck the corn while my mom was blanching the corn and putting it in the freezer.  Invariably, we would start throwing corn silk, shucks and eventually, the worms at each other.  Mom would have to run outside and yell to get us back on track so she could get the corn put away.

I don't put up corn on the cob for winter.  It takes up so much freezer space I'd rather use for blueberries and blackberries and such.  I say, eat corn on the cob all summer long so we're tired of it by fall! 

I cooked up a pork tenderloin tonight and served it with old german tomatoes and corn on the cob.  Perfect summer meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment