Friday, June 25, 2010

Sweet Home!

Well, I made it! I survived four days at kid's camp.  Sure wasn't as bad as I had imagined.  I truly thought it would be the worst four days I would ever spend.  Yes, it was hot.  It felt like it was over 100 degrees each day.  Yes, I did sign up to sponsor the canoeing.  Met new people, had a great view and got to sunscreen over twenty kids each day.  Plus, I got to tell stories about fishing and boating on the lake I grew up on.  Yes, we had campers get really homesick.  Helped them through it so they conquered it and now feel like they are well on their way to being a big kid!

I had a few first times too.  Take one of our showers for example.  I had never taken a shower with a garden hose.  Turns out, it kind of feels like a shower pic.  You know the ones that massage your back?  Well, one of the showers had no head, just a metal pipe that stuck out of the wall.  Actually felt pretty good and really rinsed the soap out of your hair!

Another plus, I really prayed.  Most of the time, I was mentally praying for someone or something.  Example, when I was showering with the garden hose, I was also praying that when I closed my eyes to wash out the soap from my hair that a snake would not come up the uncovered drain.  I also prayed and prayed that I would not have to eat macaroni and cheese (not my favorite food!), the cooks thought they had run out when I got up to get my plate! They found the extra pan just as I was walking away! God sometimes works in big ways and little ways!

It was really a joy to see campers grow in their faith while at camp.  It was also a joy to see campers come to know Christ at camp.  It was a joy to get away from the cell phone(very little service), tv, newspaper and all the other stuff that grabs my attention. It was a joy to have my daughter come up to me, hug me and say 'I'm glad you're here'. 

Kid's camp.  Something I'll never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment